Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hello! My name is Sean Fallon and I am a digital artist who works in the areas of illustration, character design, and concept art.


Artist Statement

My artistic tendencies have always leaned towards fantasy naturalism. My life as an artist really began with video games, has always been inspired by video games, and is likely to continue to be influenced by and for video games. The illustrative work that I tend towards is conceptualized during my daily activities which include movies, books, nature, and of course video games. Once my ideas are solidified, the digital work that I produce needs to be clear representations of fantastical things that could believably inhabit some world. To this effect, there always will be some realism in the imaginative figures I create, for the purpose is to convey an idea of something unbelievable believably. A later inspiration, along with video games, is pen and paper role playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons because the entirety of the game is based on imagination and fiction. Illustrating the adventurers slaying the mighty dragon became a constant hobby of mine that developed into what I do today.

The concepts and illustrations that I do are primarily digital in nature, as it provides the speed and flexibility I require to quickly and accurately convey my idea. The subject matter of my work tends to be science fiction and high fantasy, such as Lord of the Rings, in nature. J.R.R. Tolkien's literary works grabbed my mind at a relatively young age and refused to let go; the idea that a group of unlikely heroes would band together and accomplish some great feat in a world that didn't exist could inspire such feelings of elation in a person fascinated me. I have since set out to accomplish what Tolkien did in literature with my illustrations. Action scenes, emotionally gripping imagery, exaggerated perspective to achieve the illusion of grandeur and majesty are all qualities that inhabit my work as I set out to bring to life the visions in my mind. Color is important to the aesthetic decision I must make once I get past the design phases of my work. I commonly employ complementary hues to add a dynamic quality to certain scenes which reinforces the nature of good vs. evil or strong vs. weak. Atmospheric perspective also tends to reappear in my digital paintings frequently to accentuate the forms which are usually placed in the foreground of the image which contain high contrast when compared to the desaturated and less focused backgrounds. Photographic texture has recently found a place as a staple in my work as I incorporate and fuse photographic imagery with digital painting to create a unique blend of imagined and real textures that further ground my images in reality. As much as I enjoy working with form and color, lines and initial composition remain my favorite part of an image to work on. It is my belief that good enough line work can accurately convey perspective, depth, dimension, and even realism when skillfully done, and I constantly strive to improve my facility with a pencil and to master its uses.

The imaginary worlds and beings that inhabit them in my imagination are what I desire to show the viewers of my artwork. I strive to bring realism and form to the wonderful and ridiculous, fantastic and awesome, inconceivable and unbelievable. Furthermore, I hope that one day these digital images may find their way into other digital forms of media, such as video games or even film. An artist is never truly content with the work they produce and must always strive after greater abilities, and I am by far no exception. The future of my work must be streamlined until I can produce a masterful piece of fantasy storytelling in ten strokes or less.